Local Western Bacon Sliders with Fried Cheese Curds
These are not healthy, but boy, are they a tasty time! Join me in my self-indulgent journey with these Local Western Bacon Sliders with fried cheese curds.
For the Sliders:
1. For the sliders, preheat your oven to 350. You can simultaneously cook the bacon as well. Cook the sliders for around 7 minutes, flip, cook for another 5, add cheese slices, or grate cheese on top. Cook until the cheese has melted (around 3-4 more minutes).
2. Cook the bacon for 10 minutes, flip and cook for another 5.
For the Cheese Curds:
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, pour oil (vegetable, canola, or peanut oil work great) so that it is 2 inches deep. Turn the heat onto medium-high, but do not go far; the oil will boil quickly, and we do not want that.
2. Make your batter for frying. In a medium bowl add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. In another small bowl, whisk water and egg. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
3. Test if your oil is ready by dropping a bit of batter into the pot. If it immediately starts to bubble and fry, you're good to go. If you have a cooking thermometer, the oil should be about 350 degrees.
4. Dip your cheese curds into the batter and then carefully drop them into the hot oil. I'd recommend cooking around 6 at a time so they don't stick together. Stir them around a bit, and when they have just turned golden brown, remove them from the oil with a metal slotted spoon and drain them on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining cheese curds.
5. Some of your cheese curds may ooze out a little bit. Do not worry, they are still very tasty.
6. Assemble burgers with BBQ sauce, bacon, and fried cheese curds.