Cooking Class with Janie's Mill: Handmade Linguine with Roasted Fresh Tomato Sauce & Autumn Vegetable Salad
We were lucky enough to have Celia from Janie's Mill stop by our kitchen and teach a homemade pasta class! Janie's Mill is a local flour mill in Ashkum IL, about an hour north of Common Ground. Celia breaks down how to make fresh pasta dough from start to finish. Follow the recipe or watch the video below!
Fresh Pasta Dough
- Break the eggs into a well in the flour. Using a fork, whisk the eggs into the flour.
- When the dough starts to combine and begins to get heavier, use a bowl scraper or your hands to press the dough round and round until all the extra bits of egg and flour are mopped up. If it is too dry, add a little bit of water. *Your aim is to create a cohesive, stiff but malleable ball of dough.
- Knead for about 1 minute to finish and then wrap and store in the fridge until yiu are ready to make your pasta dish - at least 30 minutes.
- Take half of the dough from the fridge (save the rest for another time). Knead into a rectangle, roll and fold two times. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough as thin as it can go (so thin you can see your hand through it).
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough longways to a 4mm width (1/8th inch).
- lay out to dry unitl ready to boil.
Linguine with Roasted Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley and thyme and toss with a little oil and salt. Broil on high for 10 minutes.
- Turn to bake and roast for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and mash with a fork. Place a sieve over a bowl and push the tomato mixture through the sieve using a ladle or big spoon. Discard the skins. Place the tomato sauce in a small pan to heat up at the last minute.
To serve with pasta:
- Boil linguine noodles in a big pan of boiling water for 4 minutes, or until the pasta floats.
- Strain through a sieve, and toss with a little oil and pepper.
- Combine with hot tomato sauce and top with Parmesan and ground pepper.
Autumn Vegetable & Mixed Green Salad with Rye Berries & Avocado Yogurt Dressing
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and 100 grams of rye berries. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and beet into 1/4 inch chunks. Toss separately in olive oil and a little salt and pepper. (The beets will make everything pink, so toss them separately and then roast on a separate side of the pan). Roast 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Pull out and cool.
- To make the dressing: combine the avocado, Greek yogurt, fresh dill and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk until smooth and combined.
- To assemble the salad, combine salad mix, potato and beet mixture, and rye berries and toss to combine with the avocado yogurt dressing. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, or heat Parmesan in a pan until they form crisps.